Sunday 1 January 2017

Ciao 2016, Hola 2017!!


Congratulations, we have finally reached the end of 2016! It was a roller coaster year so let us all give ourselves a pat on our back, before we move on to the next year.
So how have your investments been doing in 2016? For me, it has been relatively smooth as I was very focused in building up my 3rd sector - REITs/TRUSTs in my investment portfolio. This strategy has certainly achieved my aim of anchoring my portfolio with a steady stream of returns this year.
Will REITs/TRUSTs continue to perform its role in 2017 and beyond? Well, I am rather optimistic that the 3 REITs/TRUSTs in my portfolio - MapleTree Logistics Trust, Ascendas Hospitality Trust and Ascott Reit should continue to perform well. Looking ahead, I will be eyeing more REITs/TRUSTs to build up my 3rd sector; as well as companies that might fit well into my investment criteria. I also aim to spend more time to build up my knowledge in Industrial Reits to prepare for potential opportunities in the next few years.
How will your 2017 be like? Well, I expect my 2017 to be rather busy. My HDB flat is finally coming (Yes!) so my wife and I would need to start thinking about how we should renovate the flat. Our renovation fund has already been set aside in a short-term fixed deposit since mid 2016. We intend to keep our renovation simple. We wish to build a home that is warm, comfortable and easy to maintain; and do not want to spend too excessively in the renovation. We have in fact considered painting the house ourselves as it seemed to be more economical. Well, should not be too difficult to paint “white” on “fresh, white walls” right?
My wife and I are usually practical and pragmatic in our lifestyle choices (ok, I admit that I am just finding words to replace the words “uncle” and “aunty” for ourselves). So we usually source around to buy value-for-money items even during our overseas vacation. We do not believe in buying anything if we feel that the item’s price is much greater than its value. This is exactly the same mindset that I have adopted for my investment in which I will only buy a stock only if it is at the right target price.
Recently, my wife and I were engaged in a series of discussions on how we should use our CPF OA money before it gets flushed away when we take over the HDB flat. The common practise is to just wipe out all our available CPF OA money. Instead of that, do we have any other options? Investing in ETFs, stocks, bonds sounds like a option to secure returns higher than 2.6% Loan interest while preserving my future options to use my OA money. Transferring the OA money into my CPF SA is also very tempting if we look at the “more-or-less guaranteed” 4% return. So HOW!? Wait, wait let me wrap up my 2016 first and we can think about this later on. In the mean time, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
For 2016, there are many people whom I really wanted to thank. The first and foremost is my dear wife who has been my key source of inspiration & strength, and my best partner in this investment journey together. I also wanted to thank my co-writers, EzHuat and YoloHuat. It is our wish to come together to share and exchange views of our investment journey that inspired this blog in Oct 2016. Lastly, I also liked to thank all of our TripleHuat readers for being my source of encouragement in spending my late nights blogging down my thoughts. If you have any queries or urge to shout out to us, feel free to drop my co-writers and I an email at triplehuat@gmail.com
I hope that our posts have been useful for your investment consideration. Looking ahead to 2017, I look forward to more interesting discussions with you. So stay tuned at TripleHuat.blogspot.com! :)
Together, let us all Go & Huat ah!
GoHuat

Related Posts


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop your comments here!