Tuesday 1 August 2017

GoHuat’s Views on Current STI Market and Upcoming Plans


Over the past few months, the STI has risen steadily to the current support level of 3300-3350. One potential thought is to sell off some shares in CPF Investment Account to preserve some of its gains. Based on current market conditions, my target sell prices for the shares in my CPFIA are as follows: OCBC@S$11.50; for STI ETF@S$3.52; and for Singtel@S$4.25. My CPFIA portfolio is expected to achieve an estimated returns of around 2.56% in 2017, based on total dividends over total purchase price. (Note: My first purchase was in end Mar 2017 so I missed out some dividends before that).
I am also planning to start selling my cash investment once STI hits 3.5K or if there is a change in the global outlook. Over the past few months, I have accumulated more Singtel shares. My current portfolio consisted of 3 “anchor” shares - Singtel, MapleTree Logistics Trust (MLT) and Ascendas Hospitality Trust (AHT). These 3 shares formed around 25% of my portfolio in terms of purchase value. The remaining 75% are shared between Finance (i.e. Banks and financial companies) and Oil & Gas shares.
My "anchor" shares have performed well while paper losses in O&G shares remained a sore thumb. However, I am happy that the damage has been reduced by my timely shift into “anchor” shares. My current view is that the O&G sector is starting to show some minor recovery signs, with indicators such as the rise in oil prices and early interest to buy over completed Sembcorp Marine’s rigs. Related to this is a recent report published by DBS on the potential merging of Keppel and Sembcorp Marine. I thought it would be interesting to share my facebook views here:

Will both companies merge? Though there are benefits of cutting cost during this downturn, I still think that the sector has a good chance of recovering  in the longer term. I also agree with this article that a merger will cause a monopoly issue in Singapore. Hence, my current belief is that the likelihood of a merger is low. What are your views on this?
Together, let us all Go & Huat ah!
GoHuat

Related Posts
Why should we ever use our CPFOA for Investment?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Huat Go, how can i communicate or get in touch with you?
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace, you can email me at triplehuat@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to drop your comments here!